Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Two Halves Make a "Yes!": Officially Engaged.

When there’s 10,000 miles between you and your beloved’s parents, a few questions arise about how consent is gong to happen. Like, “Does present-day technology (webcams and GoogleTalk) suffice in replacing the traditional meet-the-parents-dinner?” “Would his parents ever give consent without having so much as met me?”
These questions settled into the smorgasbord of thoughts, ideas, hopes, fears and questions skirmishing between my frontal and temporal lobes, including the classic, “Will they like me?”

Alex and I decided to tell both our parents that we were thinking about asking for consent as soon as we realized that we would need to know what they would require and appreciate from us. Dinner in Portland ensued (farm animals included) a couple of weeks after I gave my parents the heads-up. When Alex went to tell his parents about our pending hopes, they beat him to the punch.

“We’d like to meet her,” they said, over an internet connection spanning two and a half continents. Their fuzzy, pixilated images were smiling.

We planned on a trip to Boston, a place relatively halfway (not really) between our NW corner of the States and Haifa, Israel, where the World Center of the Bahá’í Faith is, and where Alex’s parents are volunteers. Alex’s incredibly hospitable aunt and uncle, Kay and Gary, had also volunteered their lovely Boston home to us for the weekend. There was an entire month between making solid plans and the actual trip – I was beside myself with excitement whenever I could afford to admit it (it’s a little hard to get anything at work done when you’re dancing around in anticipation). Throughout those four weeks, I would occasionally find myself frozen mid-step with the realization hitting me at full force, “We’re asking for consent.”

By the time we arrived in Boston on an early Friday morning in August (6:30 am-early), we had no energy left for…well, anything, let alone dancing around. Tricia and Eric, the parents who had, until that time, appeared to me as two people confined to a small box on the computer screen, hugged us warmly and excitedly. Alex and I responding with beaming smiles and sincere grunts. Everything felt very real.

After a warm breakfast, and a solid three hour nap, we awoke with eyes no less red than the flight we had taken into town, but very, very happy. A wind-blown walk around a beautiful forested park refreshed us and got the questions going. Behind my tired smile I had definitely been anticipating the get-to-know-you part of our cheerful banter. We only had three days, after all, to prove to Alex’s parents that we were not crazy for finding ourselves ready to marry after only two months! In no less cheerful tones, Eric and Tricia asked us things like how I was going to finish my degree through Oregon State University from Seattle, what my parents thought about the fact that they had known each other 25 years ago from the Bahá’í community in Salem (Oregon), what I would do if our child refused to eat his or her green beans, and what had been the first things we were each attracted to in the other.

A huge storm came in that night after dinner, and, while Tricia and Eric excused themselves to go tend to their insane levels of jetlag, Alex and I stayed outside by the koi pond talking things over, soaking up the fresh air and rain like good north-westerners. Only fifteen minutes later, the backdoor opened again. Tricia and Eric walked out, looking like they had only one thing on their minds.

“We were just getting ready for bed, and talking,” they began, “when we realized that we should probably come tell you that –“

I’m not sure how Alex’s breathing was doing at that moment, but mine was as good as gone. I mean, completely cut off.

“—we approve.”

5 comments:

Tricia said...

well written, up to 96% Eric :-) brought tears to our eyes

Andrew and Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew and Joanne said...

oooo I got chills! Tia- When Elliott told me that you were marrying a boy named Alex, I could only picture one person. I dont think I had ever met Alex..

I have this picture of Bryn, hes wearing his Sublime shirt and hemp necklace. They distributed this picture by the dozens at the hospital... Bryn is sitting next to a boy. This boy is the only person that i could picture when Ell said "Alex"

Now i see the picture of you and Alex.. and WHALAH! ..its him!

Some sort of crazy mental telepathy or something.. :)

Congrats you guys!

~Joanne (and Andy)

Andrew and Joanne said...

hmm okay, well i just went and looked at the picture... first time in a month or so.. and I could very well be extremely wrong. but then again, they do have similar profiles. And the one pictured in your blog.. he has a beard.. which totally throws things off.

Sooo sorry if i'm wrong, but lets just pretend its really him!

~Joanne

Anonymous said...

Thanks.
Chances are that you are right about the Alex. Bryn and I grew up together in Longview. My friend Dylan and I still fight over this, but I am pretty sure I am the one who took that photo of him jumping between boulders down in Joshua Tree. You may also have met me at the hospital. Anyway, I hope to remeet you soon.